This week’s author interview is with John Crotts. He is the author of Hope: Living Confidently in God (31-Day Devotionals for Life series).
- Tell us a little bit about yourself
I’m originally from Virginia Beach, VA. My wife, Lynn, and I have been married for 31 years. We have four kids and one granddaughter. I love watching and playing sports, reading, and drinking coffee.
- When did you first want to write a book?
I have had a heart to write a book since college. I love the idea of expressing a biblical message that could go places that I will never go and reach people after I am gone.
- Which writers inspire you?
Too many to list.
- Have you always enjoyed writing?
Growing up I enjoyed creative writing.
- What inspired you to write this book, about this topic?
The world is a negative place. I wanted to inspire positive hope from all over the Bible. The format of the 31-Day Devotionals for Life series let me offer a daily dose of hope for a whole month.
- Do you have a specific spot where you enjoy writing most?
I like writing in coffee shops.
- What book are you reading now?
I am reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I am trying to pick up some of the classics that I missed earlier in my Christian life.
- Other than the Bible, do you have a favorite book?
Don Whitney’s Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
- Do you have a favorite author? Who is it and why?
Daniel Silva can write a spy novel so compelling that it almost reads itself. I love losing myself in his stories on long plane trips.
- Do you have a favorite quote?
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.” —Jim Elliot
It is a great reminder to keep one eye on eternity.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Writing a book takes way longer than you would think. Be patient. Editors are helping your book be better, not destroying your art.
- Do you have a favorite book that you have written?
- At what time of day do you write most?
My best time is mid-morning.
- What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
As a pastor, I take it very seriously if someone thinks I have misused Scripture. The best compliments have been about my books helping readers understand and apply the Bible to their lives.
- Is there anything you would like to add that you have not been asked about?
I have eaten Pizza Hut in over 20 international cities.
- Favorite food?
- Favorite flavor of ice cream?
- Favorite animal? Why?
Tiger—powerful and sleek
- Do you have a favorite movie? What is it and why?
Gladiator. It is an inspiring story of leadership, responsibility, and overcoming.
- What famous person (living or dead) would you like to meet and why?
George W Bush. I would love to ask him about what he was thinking during some of the crisis moments of his presidency
- Favorite sport to watch? Favorite sport’s team?
My favorite sport changes by season. Boston Red Sox.
- How can readers discover more about you and your work?
- Website: www.faithbiblechurch.us
- Twitter: @johncrotts
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/john.crotts/
NOW AVAILABLE — Hope: Living Confidently in God
P&R Publishing: $7.50
PCA Bookstore: $7.79
WTS Books: $7.63